Finding Kefir Grains
Kefir is a fermented milk product that can be made at home very easily, once you have some kefir grains.
Wikipedia has a page giving some information about kefir here.
Sharing real kefir grains
Lots of people have kefir grains to share. Once you have real kefir grains, you never need to buy a starter culture ever again, because they are living things and will propagate.
In fact, soon you'll be able to give some of your kefir grains away to someone else!
Directories of people who share real kefir grains
The following web sites have links to people who can give or sell you real kefir grains.
- International kefir grains list
- A list of people from around the world, with kefir grains to share for free or very little cost,
usually just the cost of postage. Hosted by Adnan Smajlovic.
- Project Kefir
- A directory of real kefir grains, water kefir grains, and kombucha.
Focused on Australia and New Zealand, but with listings for other countries as well.
- Cómo conseguir kéfir (how to obtain kefir)
- Spanish list with sources for kefir grains, water kefir grains, and kombucha in Spain, Portugal, and Latin America
- (Kéfir de agua, Kéfir de leche, Kombucha)
Email lists and web forums where people share real kefir grains
- Yahoo! group Real Kefir Making
- Yahoo! group Kefir Making
- Yahoo! group Microbial Nutrition
- Yahoo! group NTUK
- Yahoo! group Fermented Foods UK
- Google group Wild-Fermentaton
Personally, I don't know why people would want to buy kefir grains, when there are so many people happy to share them for
free, or the cost of postage. However, you can always pay for kefir grains and starters if you prefer.
Buying real kefir grains
You can buy real kefir grains from these people, and some of them can ship dried kefir grains internationally.
- Dom's Kefir In-site
- Based in South Australia, Dominic Anfiteatro is the kefir guru and can supply you with kefir grains and a
copy of his book. His website is also worth checking out for the amazing amount of information about kefir!
- Fermented Treasures
- A company in Missouri, USA, with a range of fermenting cultures including kefir grains, water kefir,
and the ginger beer plant.
- G.E.M. Cultures
- A company in California, USA, with a range of fermenting cultures including kefir grains and kombucha.
- Cultures for Health
- A company in Oregon, USA, with a range of fermenting cultures including kefir grains, water kefir and kombucha.
- Fruit Of The Vine Naturally
- A company in the USA, with a range of fermenting cultures including kefir grains, water kefir and kombucha.
- Yemoos Nourishing Cultures
- A company in the USA with a range of fermenting cultures including kefir grains, water kefir and kombucha, shipping locally.
- Kefir Store
- A company in the USA with kefir grains, shipping locally and internationally.
- The Kefir Company
- A company in the UK with kefir grains, shipping locally and internationally.
- A French company with kefir grains, water kefir, and kombucha.
Buying powdered kefir cultures
Powdered kefir cultures are a good, reliable way to make kefir. However, they need to be refreshed periodically —
or in other words, you need to keep buying the starter. This is still a good option for people who don't have the time
to keep real kefir grains fed and happy.
- Kefir Culture Natural
- Company based in Australia
- Body Ecology
- Company based in USA
"Affiliate" websites offering kefir grains and videos
These are websites that have some information on kefir, and are affiliated with an Internet-only supplier that pays them commissions.
NB: no shipping to Australia!
- Your Kefir Source
- Kefir Healthy Start
Tell me more
If you know of another list of people who share their kefir grains, or someone who sells them, please let me know!